- Preschool, Kindergarten
- 35 minutes
- Standards: RF.K.2.A
Who can resist popping bubble wrap? Students will love producing rhymes while jumping on or popping bubble wrap!
Students will be able to recognize and produce simple rhymes.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Use a song or rhyme to gather children at your group area.
- Tell students that today we're going to make rhymes with word pairs.
- Let students know that today they will be practicing rhymes with a book.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Ask your students if they can name a rhyming pair. Remind students that rhyming words have the same ending sound. Provide examples if necessary.
- Tell your students you will be reading a book with many rhyming words in it. Ask them to listen carefully and identify as many rhyming pairs as they can.
- Show students the cover of Hop on Pop. Tell students that Dr. Seuss is an author who is famous for his books that are chock full of rhyming words.
- Read Hop on Pop.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Tell students that they will be completing a rhyming pair and that they can hop or pop when they come up with a correct rhyming word.
- Have students provide examples of rhyming pairs that they remember from the book.
- When a student comes up with a rhyming word, pop a bubble wrap bubble.
- Tell students that now it's their turn.
Independent Working Time (5 minutes)
- This is where you can guide the students through either jumping on bubble wrap on the floor or using their fingers to pop individual bubbles after providing a rhyming word to complete a rhyming pair.
- Enrichment: Some beginning readers may recognize simple word family CVC words such as "cat". These students can read a word on a card and orally provide a rhyming word.
- Support: Some students may benefit from just "playing" with language, such as saying "hop and pop" while jumping on the bubble wrap.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Short I Rhyme Hopper
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Have your students orally complete rhyme pairs or have them complete the Rhyme Connection #2 worksheet.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Ask your students to recall rhyming pairs from Hop on Pop. Write the pairs on the board as students say them.