- Preschool, Kindergarten
- 60 minutes
- Standards: K.CC.A.1
Fishy numbers! This lesson will have your students counting to one hundred in multiples of 10 in no time flat! Your students will love using flash cards to practice.
Students will be able to count to 100 by ones and by tens.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell your students that they will be counting from one to ten using fish snack crackers and ten to one hundred using fish flash cards.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Pass out 10 fish snack crackers and a placemat to each student.
- Write the number one on the board and draw a simple fish.
- Tell your students to follow along with you. Continue these steps for all numbers from one through ten.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Instruct your students to count their fish one by one until they reach 10.
- Walk around, and check to make sure the students are completing the activity accurately.
- After you have checked for comprehension, have students get in pairs or small groups.
- Pass out the fish flash cards, and practice counting to 100 by multiples of 10.
- Have your students go in order and practice with their partners.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Have the students go back to their seats.
- Pass out paper to each student.
- Have them write the number 1 and choose a visual representation of their choice and draw it.
- Continue to have them follow your oral instructions and draw the numbers from one to ten.
- Enrichment: Have students come up with ways to teach the math concept to students who need extra support. Give them other manipulatives in the classroom, such as plastic bear counters.
- Support: Give your students extra manipulatives to work with.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Numbers 1 to 10 Puzzle
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Collect the papers that the students drew on during independent working time.
- Check to see if the students were able to accurately depict each of the numbers from one to ten.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have 10 students come to the front of the class and stand in a row. Tell them that when you tap on their heads, they need to take a step forward.
- Tap on one student and say one number at a time, going down the line until you get to the number 10.
- Finally, practice counting to 100 in multiples of 10.