- Preschool, Kindergarten
- 45 minutes
Get those bodies moving and make some patterns. This lesson uses fine and gross motor skills to teach your students about AB patterns.
Students will be able to identify what a pattern is and predict what should come next in patterns. Students will be able to create an AB pattern.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell students they will be learning about patterns today. Tell students that a pattern is a design that repeats.
- Sing the pattern action song with the class:
Patterns happen all the time. It's pattern, pattern, pattern time. (Clap three times) It's something that happens over and over again. (Roll hands around each other)
- Sing the song first, only letting the class listen. Then encourage students to join in as you sing it again.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Call a few students to the front of the classroom.
- Demonstrate how to make a pattern by positioning students in various patterns. Such as boy, girl, boy, girl, or standing, bending, standing, or hands up, hands down, hands up.
- Encourage students to say what comes next in the pattern.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Place students in small groups.
- Give groups counters or blocks in two colors.
- Instruct them to work together to make an AB pattern.
- Discuss the patterns each group made.
- Reward them with praise if they complete the activity correctly.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Distribute one pipe cleaner to each student with a bowl of several beads in two different colors.
- Show students an example of a bracelet with an AB pattern.
- Tell students to make bracelets in an AB pattern by sliding beads on the pipe cleaner.
- Tie the completed bracelets on your students' hands.
- Enrichment: Have students play the Make Your Own Pattern Game. Challenge students to use a specific number of beads on their bracelet to practice their counting skills.
- Support: Scaffold students who are struggling while making their bracelets. Help them to place to correct color that would come next.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Check each bracelet as students complete them. Note if they placed the colors in a correct AB pattern.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Ask students what a pattern is.
- Choose a student to display their bracelet and say the pattern they made.