- Fourth Grade, Fifth Grade
- 125 minutes
Let's learn about the human body. Students will enjoy discovering different connective tissues in this comprehensive science lesson.
Students will be able to identify the four different types of tissues and their functions.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell your students that they will be learning about the four different types of tissues today.
- Ask your students if they know what the four different types of tissues are.
- Record the answers on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (20 minutes)
- Go over the Tissues slideshow with your students.
- Explain each slide with examples.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (40 minutes)
- Ask your students to get into groups of four.
- Ask each group to come up with steps for a dance move. An example would be move four steps up, turn around, stretch your arms, jump high, and twist.
- Ask your students to write how the various tissues were used in their dance moves on a sheet of paper.
- Have each group perform the dance move they created and explain how the different types of tissues were used as they danced.
Independent Working Time (30 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the Tissues worksheet.
- Enrichment: Ask advanced students to research a disease caused by tissue damage, as well as its symptoms and treatment. Have them write short research papers on it.
- Support: Using a poster size diagram of each tissue. go over the tissues with struggling students and explain the functions of each tissue.
Assessment (15 minutes)
- Ask your students to write down the names of the four tissues and list two facts about each tissue.
Review and Closing (15 minutes)
- Go over the Tissues worksheet with your students.
- Have each student answer at least one thing about each tissue.