Let's Eat Healthy!
Students will be able to identify healthy and unhealthy foods.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Tell students that today they will be discussing healthy and unhealthy foods.
- Assess prior knowledge by asking the class who ate something healthy today.
- Show students various plastic healthy and unhealthy foods and invite them to come up one by one and identify if they think the food they selected is healthy or unhealthy.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- On a whiteboard or chalkboard, make two columns. One column should be labeled "healthy" and one column should be labeled "unhealthy." Put a smiley face next to the word healthy and a sad face next to the word unhealthy to help students understand the chart.
- Then, call students up one by one to select magazine cutouts of different foods and decide whether they are healthy or unhealthy.
- When they choose one, discuss with the class why they think that is correct or incorrect. Then, help students tape them to the right side of the chart.
- Continue until each student had a turn or until you have used all of the pictures.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Call students over to select a fruit that they would like to use to create a healthy foods craft. Give them the choice of either an apple, a banana, an orange, or grapes.
- Have students identify the color of the fruit they chose and to find the correct corresponding color tissue paper.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Ask the students to tear the strips of tissue paper into small squares.
- Invite students to glue the squares onto the fruit cutout that they selected.
- Enrichment: Give students the Create a Healthy Lunch! worksheet to complete.
- Support: To review healthy foods, place various fruits and vegetables on the table. Have students sort them by color. Explain that all of these items are healthy foods.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Give students a sheet of blank white paper.
- Ask students if they think celery is healthy or unhealthy.
- Give the students paint and allow them to use celery stalks to paint a picture.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Read Good Enough to Eat: A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition.