- 50 minutes
In this lesson, students will practice counting to 10. Using manipulatives, they will learn to pair numbers with the correct amount of objects.
Students will be able to count to 10 and match objects to the correct number.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Roll a dice and see what number appears. Have that number of students stand up in front of the class.
- Ask those students if anyone can write that number on the chalkboard.
- Continue rolling the dice until each student has the chance to stand up.
- Tell the class that today they will be practicing counting!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Give each student a picture of an apple, a dice, and a small cup of apple seeds.
- Roll the dice and see what number appears. Place the correct amount of seeds in the apple. Explain to the students that they will now do the same.
- Walk around the room as the students begin doing this to make sure they are doing it correctly.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Have students play the game Numbers 1 to 10 Photoshoot to reinforce number recognition skills.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Now, give students cupcake liners that have different numbers written in them. Instruct students to place the correct number of buttons in each liner.
- Check your students' work when they are done.
- Enrichment: For students succeeding with these tasks, have them focus on 1-15 when counting buttons.
- Support: Start struggling students out by focusing on fewer numbers, like 1-6 to mimic the numbers that appear on a die.
- Assessment should be based on correctness of apple seed and button counting.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Read students the story Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3. Have them say the numbers they see throughout the story!