- 60 minutes
In this lesson, students will be learning all about dinosaurs! They will have the chance to explore dinosaurs and learn which are herbivores and which are carnivores!
Students will learn about dinosaurs.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Watch What Are Dinosaurs? with your class.
- Ask students if anyone can name a type of dinosaur.
- Then, explain that today the class will be learning about dinosaurs.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Read My Big Dinosaur Book to your class. Discuss the different kinds of dinosaurs that show up in the book.
- Throughout the story, identify which dinosaurs eat meat, known as carnivores, and which dinosaurs eat plants, known as herbivores.
- Explain that dinosaurs are extinct which means there are no longer any living members of the species.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Tell students that now they will complete a craft. Show students a picture of an Apatosaurus. Explain that these dinosaurs ate plants so they are herbivores.
- Demonstrate the craft for the students.
- Using a half paper plate for the body, demonstrate gluing a neck, head, legs, and tail onto the plate.
- Using half a sponge and green paint, paint the dinosaur.
- Finish your dinosaur by drawing a face.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give each student half of a paper plate, a neck, head, legs, and tail.
- Pass out glue, sponges, paint, and crayons when students are ready for them.
- Walk around and help students as they need it.
- Enrichment: Allow students to play with plastic dinosaurs and ask questions about them. Have them guess if they are herbivores or carnivores.
- Support: Assist students with gluing and painting if they are having trouble.
Related Books and/or Media
- BOOK: National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs by Catherine D. Hughes
- BOOK: My T-Rex Has A Toothache - Childrens Picture Book by Elwyn Tate
- BOOK: How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? by Jane Yolen
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Allow students to look through a variety of dinosaur books and identify what their favorite dinosaur is and why.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Pass out the Apatosaurus Coloring Sheet and have students identify what dinosaur this is and if it eats meat or plants.
- Ask students what their favorite part of today's lesson was.