Let's Learn About Dinosaurs!
Students will learn about dinosaurs.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Watch What Are Dinosaurs? with your class.
- Ask students if anyone can name a type of dinosaur.
- Then, explain that today the class will be learning about dinosaurs.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Read My Big Dinosaur Book to your class. Discuss the different kinds of dinosaurs that show up in the book.
- Throughout the story, identify which dinosaurs eat meat, known as carnivores, and which dinosaurs eat plants, known as herbivores.
- Explain that dinosaurs are extinct which means there are no longer any living members of the species.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Tell students that now they will complete a craft. Show students a picture of an Apatosaurus. Explain that these dinosaurs ate plants so they are herbivores.
- Demonstrate the craft for the students.
- Using a half paper plate for the body, demonstrate gluing a neck, head, legs, and tail onto the plate.
- Using half a sponge and green paint, paint the dinosaur.
- Finish your dinosaur by drawing a face.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give each student half of a paper plate, a neck, head, legs, and tail.
- Pass out glue, sponges, paint, and crayons when students are ready for them.
- Walk around and help students as they need it.
- Enrichment: Allow students to play with plastic dinosaurs and ask questions about them. Have them guess if they are herbivores or carnivores.
- Support: Assist students with gluing and painting if they are having trouble.
Related Books and/or Media
- BOOK: National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs by Catherine D. Hughes
- BOOK: My T-Rex Has A Toothache - Childrens Picture Book by Elwyn Tate
- BOOK: How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? by Jane Yolen
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Allow students to look through a variety of dinosaur books and identify what their favorite dinosaur is and why.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Pass out the Apatosaurus Coloring Sheet and have students identify what dinosaur this is and if it eats meat or plants.
- Ask students what their favorite part of today's lesson was.