- 40 minutes
- Standards: K.CC.A.2
Order up! Get your students excited about counting with this teacher-approved math lesson. Kids will have a blast making booklets and participating in counting activities.
Students will be able to order numbers from 1-10 or beyond given number samples.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell students you will be practicing ordering numbers.
- Ask students to identify examples in their environment where they may observe numbers in order. Examples would include the class calendar, a number line, or any chart where steps are numbered in order.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Have students line up, and count them off by number (e.g. "1,2,3...").
- Have students arrange themselves in a line in order. Help as necessary and encourage students to use posted number lines as cues for ordering numbers.
- Have students count aloud as they are in line.
- Rearrange students as many times as you choose to establish understanding of the concept.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Distribute number cards to each student.
- Have students place their numbers in order on the board, a clothesline, or however works best for your classroom.
- Count the numbers in order when finished and ask students if the number cards are ordered correctly. Have students rearrange them if necessary.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Have students complete the 1-10 foldable booklet.
- Allow them to write the numerals on the front or the inside of the booklet and add corresponding numbers of dots.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students place playing or number cards in order when given a random set.
- Support: Struggling students can work with the support version of the Fill in the Numbers worksheet.
Related Books and/or Media
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Have students complete the Fill in the Numbers worksheet.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have students share their foldable books with each other and/or place them in your classroom library.