- First Grade
- 85 minutes
- Standards: RF.1.3
This simple review helps first-graders familiarize themselves with common words. By building their vocabulary, they'll simultaneously improve their reading skills.
Students will be able to identify and spell different sight words.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Show students the sight word lists.
- Tell the students that today, they are going to review the words on the list and spell the words with magnets.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Distribute the sight word lists.
- Pick up the baking pan and some magnet letters.
- Start at the top of any list and use the magnets to write the words on your baking pan.
- Have a volunteer read the words from your pan.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Have students pair up. Give each pair a baking pan and some magnetic letters.
- Have the students recount what you did in your model. This will help you check for understanding.
- Assign the students an area to sit in to work.
Independent Working Time (30 minutes)
- Have students complete the activity.
- Walk around and monitor the students as they complete the activity.
- Students will be working with their partner to build and read the words.
- Students will be taking turns during this activity.
- Enrichment: Advanced students can be asked to use different sight words to make sentences.
- Support: Help struggling students with sounding out the words on their lists.
Assessment (15 minutes)
- Work with each student and individually assess them based on how they represented each word.
- Students who complete one list can be given another.
- If time is limited, assess pairs instead of individual students.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have the students pick a word they had a hard time reading and write it down.