- Preschool, Kindergarten
- 55 minutes
- Standards: RF.K.1.D
In this lesson, students will learn about the marvelous letter M. They'll also have fun working on a hands-on arts and crafts project to form their own "M"s.
Students will be able to identify the letter M and select things that begin with the letter M.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Sing the letter M song. Lyrics to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb: Letter M says, /m/ /m/ /m/ x3, Letter M say /m/ /m/ /m/ , like mop, magic, and Mary.
- Have students listen as you sing the song once.
- Allow them to sing along as you sing the song again.
- Ask the class what letter they think they will be learning about today.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Write the uppercase and lowercase letter M on the board.
- Tell students the sound the letter M makes.
- Tell them to fold their lips and make the /m/ sound like the sound at the beginning of the word mouse.
- Walk around and see if everyone is making the correct sound.
- Ask students what words begin with the /m/ sound.
- Write the correct responses on the board.
- Add additional letter M words on the board. For example: man, mat, May, mug, mom, mop, moon, mouse, Mercury, Mars, milk, mold, maid, mall, monkey, macaroni, muscles, music, maracas, moose, mustache, mushroom, mask, money, mouth, mansion, medicine, mirror, metal, magnets, and monster.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Introduce the female puppet with a name that begins with M, such as Mrs. Mary.
- Tell them she can only eat picture cards of letter M words.
- Give each student one picture card of something that begins with M and two picture cards of things that do not begin with the letter M. For example: a monkey, a crab, and a house.
- Tell them to feed Mrs. Mary the card that begins with the letter M.
- Go to each student and allow them to give the puppet a letter M card.
- If they choose the wrong card, let the puppet get a tummy ache and let them try again.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give students the Find the Hidden Letter: M worksheet.
- Read the instructions with the class.
- Tell them instead of coloring the motorcycles, they will paste macaroni onto the motorcycles.
- Distribute the macaroni into the cups.
- Give students cups and glue.
- Let students paste the macaroni to form the letter M.
- Enrichment: Let advanced students feed the puppet letter M word cards along with picture cards. For example, instead of a picture of a mop, they could choose the word mop.
- Support: Give struggling students the letter M page with the mouse instead of the hidden M to make it easier to paste an M.
Related Books and/or Media
- VIDEO: Letter M | ABCs ~ by Tea Time with Tayla
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Ask students to make the /m/ sound.
- Check student work to see if they correctly formed the letter M.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Allow volunteers to name different words that start with the /m/ sound.