Students will be able to understand the math concept that a given number of objects can be assigned only one number.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Gather students together and tell them that today they're going to learn about counting.
- Show students the number cards and the objects they will use to count.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Flip through the cards and have the students identify each number as you show them the card.
- As you lay down a card, read the number and count out the same number of objects and lay them next to the number card.
- Continue with the rest of the numbers and objects.
- Tell students that they will try this themselves.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Have students try the activity one at a time until you see that they have grasped the concept.
- Encourage students to try it even if they do not seem confident.
- Work alongside the students that need some help.
- Send students back to their tables to work independently by matching the numbers to objects.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Set up a work area for students with number cards and objects for counting.
- Allow students to experiment on their own.
- Rotate around the room to help struggling students.
- Appreciate students' efforts with positive comments.
Enrichment: The same cards and objects can be used to introduce addition and subtraction to advanced students.
- Support: Focus on number identification and the development of fine motor skills with struggling students.
Related Books and/or Media
- ACTIVITY: Divvy it Up
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Observe your students as they work independently to see if they understand the lesson.
- Ask questions as they work to check if they have an understanding of the concept.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Gather students back together and ask clarifying questions to solidify your class' understanding. Example: How many buttons should be given to the number 9 card?
- Review the lesson the next day or a few days later to check for absorption of material.