- Second Grade
- 55 minutes
- Standards: 2.OA.A.1
Name that hero! In this lesson, your students will practice adding two digit numbers together. They will get more comfortable adding bigger numbers together, making it easier to add three digit numbers later on.
Students will be able to complete two digit addition problems.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Begin the lesson by introducing two digit addition.
- Show your students the Shake it Off-2 Digit Addition video.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Take a piece of chart paper, and write the step by step directions for how to complete a double digit addition problem.
- Write out some practice problems on the board. For example, 32 + 13, 37 + 22, and 62 + 15.
- Complete the problems with the students.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Hand out the Name That Hero worksheet.
- Work with the students to answer the first two questions, working through them step by step.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- After you work through the first 2 problems with the students, have them complete the rest on their own.
- Give the students time to complete the worksheet.
- Enrichment: Give your students more difficult math questions, even giving a three digit number to add to a two digit number.
- Support: Give your students manipulatives, such as blocks, to complete two digit addition problems.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Give students a short 5 question quiz with numbers that are tricky for them. For example, 29 + 37, 19 + 63, and 49 + 12.
- Review the steps to get the answers.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Show the addition video again.