- 40 minutes
Mix and match your way to understanding colors! This lesson will give your students the opportunity to sort objects into color categories.
Students will be able to match objects to the correct color categories.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Look around the room, and point to various solid colored objects.
- Explain to your class that they will put common objects into color categories.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Call out a color, and have your students look around and find an object that is that particular color.
- Have your students pick three items in the room that are the same color.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Put your students into groups of 3-4.
- Give out the color cards, and have your students match the objects to the color name.
- Read the color words aloud for your students before having them begin the activity.
- Direct your students to complete the activity.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give your students the Color Red and Book of Red worksheets.
- Have your students complete it and make their own categories of different colors on the back of the sheet.
- Enrichment: Have your students try to sound out the words from the color cards and then place them in the correct color group.
- Support: Work on a more limited number of color categories before giving your students all of the color cards.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Cocoa Color Sorting
Assessment (5 minutes)
- During independent working time, walk around, making sure that your students are completing worksheets accurately.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have your students share their color categories from the backs of their worksheets.