Phonics With The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Students will have a basic understanding of metamorphosis and be able to recognize the /c/ sound.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Inform your students of the lesson's main topic: metamorphosis, or how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly.
- Show them the cover of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and ask them what they think a caterpillar eats.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (20 minutes)
- Read The Very Hungry Caterpillar aloud.
- Go over some things that can be learned from the book. Examples include: the different stages of metamorphosis, number sequences, vocabulary (specifically, the names of food and days of the week), and nutrition (specifically, the effects of junk food).
- To gauge student comprehension, ask questions such as: Why did the caterpillar get a stomachache after eating a lot of junk food?
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Begin a quick phonics (letter-sound correspondence) lesson by having students practice sounding out the letter C (/c/).
- Show them that the word caterpillar begins with the letter C. Sound out caterpillar, emphasizing the /c/ sound at the beginning.
- Ask the class to think of other words that start with C.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- To review, ask the class what letter caterpillar begins with.
- Distribute the materials needed for the Phonics Fun: C is for Caterpillar activity, then have students work independently to complete it.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students write their own versions of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. For example, a student may write a version with a tadpole as the protagonist.
- Support: Show struggling students pictures of things that begin with the letter C. Help them understand that C makes a /c/ sound, and words that start with C usually have the /c/ sound in them.
- An online video may be shown to help review the lesson.
Related Books and/or Media
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Ask the class to name the different stages of metamorphosis: 1) egg 2) caterpillar 3) cocoon 4) butterfly.
- Ask them again what letter caterpillar begins with and what sound C makes.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- If there's enough time remaining, show this animated video: The Very Hungry Caterpillar.