- Third Grade
- 70 minutes
Get your students excited about possessive pronouns with this fun lost-and-found inspired lesson. By talking about items that belong to themselves and their classmates, kids be gain a better understanding of denoting possession.
Students will use possessive nouns in sentences. Students will identify the difference between possessive pronouns and possessive adjectives.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Tell the students that today, we are going to learn about possessive pronouns.
- Ask students, "What is a pronoun?" and ask for examples.
- Show the Possessive Pronouns video.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Have the students come to a gathering area and each place something that belongs to them into a box or bag.
- Choose an item and say, "Whose book is this? It's not mine. It's hers."
- Ask a student to pull something from the bag or box, using the possessive pronoun to ask questions or make statements. For example, she can say, "Is this her eraser? No, it is mine."
- Continue with other students for four or five turns.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Ask students to choose an object in the classroom and use a possessive pronoun in a statement or question, e.g. "Is that your desk or is it hers? (while pointing to the person at the desk)"
- Remind students that it is the desk of that girl (her).
- Have students each write five questions and statements using possessive pronouns.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Ask students to complete the Possessive Pronouns worksheet.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students write their own questions and sentences for the assessment by giving them subjects to write about, e.g. "book" or "pencil."
- Support: Give struggling students a word bank to use for their worksheet.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Take notice of the students who are able to determine possessive pronouns in their questions and statements orally and those who need prompts.
- Collect and review students' worksheets to assess their understanding of the lesson content.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Play the 009 - Possessive Pronouns video.
- During the video, ask what responses they have for the blanks. They can self-check their answers.