- First Grade, Third Grade
- 45 minutes
- Standards: L.3.1.a
Use this lesson to introduce, review, and teach pronouns! Your students will get to practice using these words and build their reading and language skills.
Students will be able to use and identify pronouns.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Review pronouns with flashcards, and show students examples of pronouns in the room.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Explain to your students that a pronoun is a word used instead of a noun.
- Write the following pronouns on the board: he, she, her, him, I, you, we, and they.
- Have students demonstrate with their partner what these pronouns mean by identifying them in the room.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Using flashcards, review again what a pronoun is, and have the students teach the class the definition.
- First, have your students say a sentence with the proper noun. Then, direct your students to use the pronouns in a new sentence replacing the first one.
Independent Working Time (5 minutes)
- Test students verbally by giving examples and nonexamples of pronouns.
- Direct your students to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on the right and wrong uses of pronouns that you give.
- Enrichment: Use pronouns in a class story, and make it into a play to demonstrate in front of the class. Have your students draw the stories in a book.
- Support: Have students point to the pronouns in the class instead of writing them.
Related Books and/or Media
- VIDEO: Pronouns
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Distribute the three worksheets for your students to complete.
- Save the Subject Pronouns worksheet for later if you are short on time.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Review and have the students define a pronoun, identify the types of pronouns, and use them in a sentence.