Rhyming With Raffi’s Goodnight Irene
Students will be able to recognize and produce rhyming words.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell your students that they are going to listen to a song about where animals sleep.
- Allow them to share any ideas they may have of animals and where they live.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Play "Goodnight Irene" and have the children watch the animals on the video.
- Play it again and ask the students to try and sing along.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Hand out the rhyming worksheet with the song's lyrics.
- Ask the students to sing along, follow the words, and stop before the blank space.
- Ask the students what the missing word is.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Show the students the words at the bottom of the page and tell them to cut out and glue the words in the correct spaces.
Enrichment: For advanced students, print various animals and place coloring pages for the students to color. Have them each write a short sentence on their page. Support: Pair up struggling students with advanced students to work together coloring and decorating the coloring pages.
Related Books and/or Media
GAME: Short A Rhyme Match-Up
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Check that the students glued the words in the correct spaces.
- Assess students' understanding based on how well they did.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Play the song again, and have the students sing along to it.