Short Vowel Name Sort
Students will be able to identify different short vowel sounds within names.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Place the vowel flash cards (A, E, I, O, U) into the top row of the pocket chart.
- Review the sounds of short vowels (ă, ĕ, ĭ, ŏ, ŭ).
- Tell students that they're going to use their own names to practice sorting short vowel sounds.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Display the Name Sort sheet.
- Have students use their names as examples for identifying short vowel sounds.
- Ask: What short vowel sound(s) do you hear in your names? Do you see those sounds on the sheet?
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Distribute the index cards with students' names written on them.
- Call on students to place their own first and last names under the correct vowels in the pocket chart according to the short vowel sounds they hear.
- If a student has more than one short vowel sound in a name, have him use the first one.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Hand out the copies of the class list and Name Sort sheet.
- Tell the class that they'll be repeating the pocket chart activity, but with the Name Sort sheet.
- Have them refer to the class list to write students' first and last names in the correct columns.
- Remind them to sort based on the first short vowel sound they hear in each name.
- Enrichment: Hand advanced students a class list from a different class. They will not be as familiar with the names. Students who show a high degree of understanding may complete portions of this activity with both short and long (ā, ē, ī, ō, ū) vowels.
- Support: Ask struggling students to work with just first names. The names will be easier to sort.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- During work time, circulate the room to check for understanding.
- After students are finished, collect the worksheets. Review them later for further assessment.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have students share what short vowel sound(s) they hear in their names and what column(s) they placed their name in.