- Second Grade
- 60 minutes
- Standards: 2.MD.3.8
In this lesson, your students will learn how to buy items and use money to purchase items in the real world. You will set up a store for the students to learn about money.
Students will be able to understand the value of money and how to use it.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell your students that they will be spending pretend money to purchase, or buy, pretend items. Explain that they will be counting money to make sure they have enough to buy items.
- Show them the pretend money and the pretend items they will be using.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Show the students the exact amount of money you are going to give them ($5 or another amount of your choosing).
- Show them the items they can buy and the prices of each item. For example, you could display a sticker for 10 cents.
- Make sure to show them that they will give you the money as they buy items. If they cannot give you the exact amount, tell them to give you more. Ask them to identify how much change they should receive.
- Give them paper and pencils to write down change if necessary.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Have a student come up and show the students how to purchase items.
- Give a few students a chance to practice and show how to purchase items.
- As the cashier, practice making change with the student. When you give change back, ask the student to say how much he has leftover.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- Instruct your students to walk around the "store" looking for things they'd like to buy.
- As they are walking around, have your students keep track of what they've bought so that they can have the amounts to review at the end.
- Enrichment: Encourage one of the students to be the cashier so that she can practice making change for people.
- Support: Write the value of each coin or dollar on the board so that students can refer to it during the activity.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Have your students complete the Make Change: City Trip worksheet.
- Distribute glue and scissors to each of your students.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Direct your students to count how much money they have left.