Sight Word Fun: Am
Students will be able to read and write the sight word "am."
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Gather your students where they can easily see your interactive whiteboard.
- Explain that you're going to play a song about a sight word.
- Remind your students that a sight word is a word they will know without having to sound it out.
- Play the Am Song video by Have Fun Teaching on the whiteboard.
- Invite your students to stand and move to the music.
- Ask your students to name the target word.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Invite your students to use "am" in a sentence.
- Ask your students to help you sound out the letters in "am."
- Point out that the a is making the ă (short a) sound.
- Demonstrate how to write the word on the board.
- Play the I Am! video by sharonskinders on the whiteboard.
- Ask your students to read along as the words appear on the screen.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Use a stack of simple sight word flash cards (make sure "am" appears frequently.)
- Show the sight words to your students.
- Instruct them to cheer or clap whenever the target word appears.
- Hand out the I Am! mini-books.
- Put your students into pairs for buddy reading.
- Remind your students to keep the book in the middle, track the words with their pointer finger, and listen politely while the other student is reading.
- If you think it is necessary, model "buddy reading" with a student.
- Tell your students to take turns reading the mini-books to each other.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Show your students the I Am worksheet.
- Tell your students to carefully trace the words and color the animals with colored pencils.
- Tell each students to compose his own "I am" sentence on the back of his sheet.
- Enrichment: Have above level students also write two or three "I am" sentences describing themselves on the backs of their sheets.
- Support: Help struggling students with identifying how the color words are read.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Sight Words Match: Set 1
Assessment (5 minutes)
- During guided practice students should be participating and clapping at the right time.
- Move closer to students who seem to need support.
- During the buddy reading portion, students should be on-task and attentive while listening.
- During Independent Working Time, students should remain on-task and work at a steady pace.
- Collect students' worksheets once they're done. Review them later to assess student comprehension of the lesson content.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Invite your students to read their own sentences to the class.
- Ask your students to call out the sight word of the day.
- Ask your students to call out how to spell the sight word.
- Ask your students to describe another way to learn sight words.