Roll the Dice: Skip Counting by Fives
Students will be able to multiply single digit numbers by five. Students will be able to skip count.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Begin the lesson by asking your students if anyone has a birthday that ends in a 0 or 5.
- Explain to your class that they will learn about multiplying by 5 through skip counting.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Display the hundreds grid, and remind your students that multiplication is repeated addition.
- Highlight the fives and zeros column in the grid, and show them the visual pattern that the numbers that end in fives and zeros shows.
- Explain to students that the second digit from 5 repeats the numbers 0 and 5.
- Point to the first number on the highlighted hundreds grid.
- Model how to skip count by 5s to the number fifty while pointing to the hundreds chart.
- Explain to students that the first number, five, represents how many times the number has been multiplied, which is 1.
- Explain to students that the equation for this problem would be 5 x 1 = 5.
- Ask students to create another equation based on the next highlighted square.
- Ask one volunteer to skip count by five on the chart and produce the number equation.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Show the students the blank hundreds grid without any markings.
- Give your students each one dice, and instruct them to roll the dice once. Instruct them to multiply the number that the dice lands on by five.
- Have them say the equations quietly, draw the equation by showing the numbers in groups, and write the equation.
- Once they’ve finished four examples, have them switch with a peer.
Independent Working Time (5 minutes)
- Have your students continue rolling the dice and practicing in this way by themselves.
- Encourage them to do this without the hundreds grid in front of them so that they can practice multiplying without referring to the chart.
- Ask them to write the equations on their worksheets and solve.
- Enrichment: Give your students two dice, and instruct them to add together the numbers on the dice to multiply by five.
- Support: Give your students the Visual Support sheet to see the highlighted columns. Instruct them to work on the Count by Fives or the Dot to Dot Zoo worksheet with the help of the grid.
Related Books and/or Media
- SONG: Count by Fives Song
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Use the assessment chart to informally gauge how your students are doing as you walk around the room.
- Observe whether or not they are using the chart to multiply.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Gather the students together, and call out single digit numbers,
- Have a volunteer come up to the board to write the equation out.
- Instruct another student to solve and write the answer next to the equation.