Tell Me About a Telling Sentence
Students will be able to identify, critique, and rewrite telling sentences correctly.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Hold up the pictures in front of the class.
- Ask students to tell you different things about the pictures.
- Write their sentences on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Tell class they just gave you telling sentences, or sentences that share information about something.
- Tell the students what a telling sentence should contain when it is written down: It should tell a complete thought, the first word in a sentence must begin with a capital letter, and the sentence should end with an end mark such as a period.
- Read aloud sentences you wrote on the board.
- Ask students if each sentence has the three things a telling sentence should have.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Introduce the doctor puppet.
- Tell students he needs their help to fix sentences.
- Show the poster with telling sentences that have errors.
- Let the puppet remind class the three things a telling sentence should have.
- Have the puppet ask the class what is wrong with each sentence.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Tell students they are going to sort sentences.
- Give them the correct and incorrect sentence strips.
- Monitor them as they sort.
- As you walk around, ask students what is correct or incorrect about each sentence.
- Enrichment: Give advanced students more sentence strips to sort. For example, they can sort 10 sentences instead of five. Let them work in pairs to write their own incorrect sentences for a partner to correct.
- Support: Give students who are below level less sentence strips to sort. For example, they can sort three sentences instead of five.
Related Books and/or Media
VIDEO: The Sentence Song by Scratch Garden
Assessment (15 minutes)
- Give students the Fix the Sentences worksheets.
- Read the instructions and sentences together as a class.
- See if students correctly fixed the errors in the sentences to check for understanding.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Toss the ball around the class.
- Tell the class that when you say freeze, the person who has the ball must say one thing they have learned about telling sentences.