- Kindergarten, First Grade
- Reading, Writing
- 55 minutes
- Standards: L.1.1
This lesson will help your students write proper telling sentences. It features exercises for describing objects, writing descriptions, and fixing sentences.
Students will be able to identify, critique, and rewrite telling sentences correctly.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Hold up the pictures in front of the class.
- Ask students to tell you different things about the pictures.
- Write their sentences on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Tell class they just gave you telling sentences, or sentences that share information about something.
- Tell the students what a telling sentence should contain when it is written down: It should tell a complete thought, the first word in a sentence must begin with a capital letter, and the sentence should end with an end mark such as a period.
- Read aloud sentences you wrote on the board.
- Ask students if each sentence has the three things a telling sentence should have.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Introduce the doctor puppet.
- Tell students he needs their help to fix sentences.
- Show the poster with telling sentences that have errors.
- Let the puppet remind class the three things a telling sentence should have.
- Have the puppet ask the class what is wrong with each sentence.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Tell students they are going to sort sentences.
- Give them the correct and incorrect sentence strips.
- Monitor them as they sort.
- As you walk around, ask students what is correct or incorrect about each sentence.
- Enrichment: Give advanced students more sentence strips to sort. For example, they can sort 10 sentences instead of five. Let them work in pairs to write their own incorrect sentences for a partner to correct.
- Support: Give students who are below level less sentence strips to sort. For example, they can sort three sentences instead of five.
Related Books and/or Media
VIDEO: The Sentence Song by Scratch Garden
Assessment (15 minutes)
- Give students the Fix the Sentences worksheets.
- Read the instructions and sentences together as a class.
- See if students correctly fixed the errors in the sentences to check for understanding.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Toss the ball around the class.
- Tell the class that when you say freeze, the person who has the ball must say one thing they have learned about telling sentences.