- First Grade
- 60 minutes
- Standards: RF.1.3
Have a blast engaging your students with word families. This lesson will focus on -ig words that your students can see visually.
Students will be able to identify and spell words in the -ig family.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Ask your students if they know how to spell pig.
- Show your students a picture of a pig.
- Tell your students that pig is spelled p-i-g.
- Ask your students if they know any words that rhyme with pig.
- Going off of their responses, explain to your students that today they will learn about the -ig word family.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Show your students the The Big Pig Song.
- Tell your students that these words are in the same family because they all end in -ig.
- Have your students list the -ig words from the video.
- Show students the images of the words to reinforce the -ig word family.
- Ask your students to match the images with the words.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Give each student at least seven index cards of the same color with the ending -ig written in black.
- Give each student index cards in various colors with the consonants B, P, W, TW, D, and F.
- Ask your students to create the -ig word family by combining the index cards.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Provide students with the Word Families -ig worksheet.
- Read the instructions to the students.
- Give the students time to complete the assignment.
- Enrichment: Ask your students to use the -ig words in written sentences.
- Support: Give the students only four -ig words to work with.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Short I Cat Food
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Walk around the room, and have your students read their index cards to you.
- Collect the worksheet for grading.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have the students come together as a group.
- Ask each student to tell you one -ig word.