- 45 minutes
Trace that letter! Choose a letter of the day, and have your students practice tracing the letter. Your students will practice identifying and writing the letters in this fun lesson.
Students will be able to identify and write the letters of the alphabet through tracing.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Select a letter for your class to practice for today's lesson. For example, choose the letter A.
- Tell your students that they will be practicing tracing letters.
- Inform them that after tracing the letter, they get to write words at the bottom of the sheet.
- Have some objects that begin with the letter on display around your classroom.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Pin a copy of the worksheet and the letter on the board.
- Show your students how to trace the letter using correct grip.
- Ask your students to name the picture at the bottom of the worksheet.
- Show them how to trace the word that begins with the letter of the day.
- Remind them to follow the order of tracing shown on the worksheet.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Give each student a copy of the worksheet.
- Ask your students to take out their pencils and erasers.
- Direct them to trace the letter.
- Observe to see if any of the students need help.
- Help them to correct their pencil grip, and guide your students by pointing to the tracing lines.
- Show them how to use the eraser to fix any errors.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Once they have traced the letter a few times, encourage them to work on their own.
- Have them trace the letter and then write the letter at least two times independently.
- Enrichment: Encourage your students to write the letter on their own without the tracing lines.
- Support: Focus on helping your students get the correct pencil grip and follow the tracing lines to write the letter.
Related Books and/or Media
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Observe as your students are working at their desks.
- Walk around to check on their progress.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- After all the students are done, collect all the worksheets.
- Have one student write the letter on the board using the correct pencil grip and tracing pattern.