Students will be able to retell a story in their own words and answer questions about the story.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Help students choose a book at their reading level.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Explain to the students that they will be reading their story out loud to a teacher and then they will be retelling the story in their own words and answering some questions about the story.
- Ask students if they have any questions.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Have students partner up and practice reading to each other while you are working with other students.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Take turns listening to each child read. After they have read the story, ask the students some guiding questions. Example: What happened in the story? Who were the characters? Where did the story take place? What was your favorite part of the story? Why? What was your least favorite part of the story? Why?
- Enrichment: Students can write down their answers to the guided questions or choose more than one story to read.
- Support: Students may have a story read out loud to them, or they may buddy up with another student to help them with the reading.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Students will be assessed by their retelling of the story and by how they answer the guided questions.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Students may choose to share and talk about their book in front of the class.