Use this lesson to teach your students about the appropriate wardrobe for the different seasons. Also, teach them about the wonderful holidays of each season!
Students will be able to differentiate between the four seasons.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Ask your students if they know what the four seasons are.
- List the names of the seasons on the board.
- Ask your students the name of the current season.
- Ask your students to describe the current season. Have them elaborate on what the weather is like, what people wear, and what people do during the season.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Draw 4 columns on the board and title them summer, fall, winter, and spring.
- Ask your students to come up with words that describe them, such as hot, muggy, or cool. Write the words in the columns.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (30 minutes)
- Instruct your students to complete the Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter worksheets with a partner.
- Go over the worksheets as a class.
- When you are going over the worksheets with your students, ask your students informal questions about the items worn in each season. For example: Why do we wear a jacket in the winter? Why do we wear shorts in the summer? Why do we wear dresses in the spring?
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the What Should I Wear worksheet.
- Go over the worksheet with your students.
- Enrichment: Instruct students to complete the Silly Sciences worksheet. After they finish the worksheet, ask them to write 2 sentences about each holiday on notebook paper. This worksheet will enable students to make the connection between seasons and their respective holidays.
- Support: Ask your students to complete The Four Seasons worksheet. Ask students informal questions about what they see in each picture. For example: What activities are the children doing in this picture of this season? This worksheet will enable students to visualize each season in their minds.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Seasons Suitcase Sort
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the Season Sleuths worksheet.
Review and Closing (20 minutes)
- Pass out 3 sheets of stapled paper to each student.
- Instruct your students to title the first page Seasons. Write the word seasons on the board.
- Ask your students to title the second page Fall, the back of the second page Spring, the third page Winter, and the back of the third page Summer.
- Instruct your students to create pictures for each season on the season's page. Direct them to write at least 3 words that describe the season on the season's page.