- 60 minutes
- Standards: RF.K.3.C
Chomp along to "The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark" as students focus on high frequency words and final consonant sounds. This lesson is sure to be an ocean-themed favorite!
Students will be able to identify multiple high-frequency words.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Have your students "shake sillies out" and then do a silent stretch for 10 seconds to settle themselves.
- Have your students catch a "bubble" in their mouths by opening their mouths and gulping.
- Demonstrate a shark "chomp" to begin the lesson by placing one hand on your hip, the other on your head, and clapping your hands together to chomp.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Instruct your students to pretend to be sharks and find certain words to "chomp" fish sight words.
- Have the entire group chomp in the background as a student volunteer "swims" around trying to find the words.
- Read The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark aloud to the entire class.
- Include action movements and predictions to capture their attention during story.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Have students volunteer to share words they know that rhyme with fin.
- Then, use letter flashcards to sound out different letter combinations, such as win and tin.
- If the letter combinations are not a real word, put them back in the "ocean" (on the carpet).
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give your students the sea-themed Write and Draw Sight Words worksheets to complete.
- Enrichment: Introduce consonant blends at the beginning and end of words including /ch/ and /sh/. Teach words such as chin, shin, fish, and shark.
- Support: Focus on sight words instead of rhymes for the duration of the lesson.
Related Books and/or Media
- GAME: Sight Words Match: Set 1
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Track the high frequency words that students identify correctly.
- Ask your students to identify words that rhyme with the sight words.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have students volunteer to share their favorite parts of The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark.
- Ask your students to review and write new words that they learned on the whiteboard.