Top 5 Chicago Family Destinations
- Top 5 New York City Family Destinations
- Top 5 San Diego Family Destinations
- Top 5 Los Angeles Family Destinations
- Top 5 Washington D.C. Family Destinations
- Learning and Fun in Family-Friendly Illinois
- Family Fun and Learning in New York
Big-city sophistication combined with small-town hospitality makes Chicago a perfect family vacation destination. Chicago’s influential architecture, cuisine for every budget and taste, and outstanding museums are reason enough for a visit with your family. Enjoy a day watching the White Sox play (and the antics of their dedicated fans); or check out Chicago’s lakefront and park system that are as beautiful and relaxing, as they are kid- and budget-friendly. Here are just a few fun family activities from DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Chicago.
The engrossing, imaginative exhibits here emphasize doing—be it digging up a dinosaur bone or designing a water channel. A central, three-story rope tunnel immediately snares the attention of older visitors, though there are age-appropriate attractions for infants to pre-teens. If this place can’t exhaust the younger set's energies, nowhere can.
This massive display of military power features historic aircraft flybys, a staged amphibious attack, and precision flying teams. Prime beachfront viewing spots are from Oak Street to Montrose Beach. Takes place in Mid-Aug.
Upon arrival, head straight for the Oceanarium to watch the thrilling dolphin and beluga whale show. Staff trainers frequently choose children in the audience to help the reward the marine mammals with a snack after each trick. At the daily Tide Pool Touch and Reptilian Animal Encounters kids can indulge their urge to lay hands on the critters.
Free admission encourages repeat visits to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Many exhibits including the working Farm in the Zoo and the Children's Zoo, allow kids to pet the animals. In summer a motorized "train" makes a scenic loop around the park, while on the pond, swan-shaped paddleboats float among the ducks.
Buildings open Summer & Fall: 10am-5pm daily (summer: to 6:30pm Sat, Sun) Winter: 10am-4: 30pm daily Admission: Free but $2 charge for Endangered Species Carousel www.Lpzoo.org
Underground Adventure at the Field Museum: Enter this larger-than-life "subterranean" ecosystem to get a bug's-eye view of life. Wander through a jungle of roots, and listen to the chatter of a busy ant colony. Extra admission charged.
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
ACTIVITIESGet Outside! 10 Playful Activities
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List