The Office on Women's Health (OWH) was established in 1991 within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Its Vision is to ensure that "All Women and Girls are Healthier and Have a Better Sense of Well Being." Its mission is to "provide leadership to promote health equity for women and girls through sex/gender-specific approaches." The strategy OWH uses to achieve its mission and vision is through the development of innovative programs, by educating health professionals, and motivating behavior change in consumers through the dissemination of health information.
The National Women's Health Information Center (NWHIC) is the most reliable and current information resource on women’s health today. We offer FREE women’s health information on more than 800 topics through our call center and web site.
By phone (in English and Spanish) or via our web site you can find:
- original health information on special topics like pregnancy, breastfeeding, body image, HIV/AIDS, girls health, heart health, menopause and hormone therapy, mental health, quitting smoking, and violence against women
- original health information and resources for special populations: minority women, women with disabilities, girls, men, and Spanish speakers
- thousands of health publications
- statistics on women’s health
- daily news on women’s health
- a calendar of women’s health events
We are also the National Breastfeeding Helpline! Our trained breastfeeding peer counselors can give you support and encouragement and help you with your basic breastfeeding questions and concerns. If you are having a hard time, don’t give up! Call us FREE at 800-994-9662 or visit: www.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding.
We're always happy to help with your questions. However, we receive many requests about a few common issues. We've posted these common questions and answers for you. Check the list to see if your answer is here.If you have a different question, or need additional information, please follow this link to our contact form.
Articles by Women's Health
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Spaghetti Ornaments
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- Why School Cafeterias Are Dishing Out Fast Food
- Getting Into College: The Personal Statement