Effective Date: May, 2012
This site is not intended for children under the age of 13. We will not knowingly collect personally identifiable information via this site from visitors under the age of 13. We encourage parents to talk to their children about their use of the Internet and the information they disclose to Web sites. Parents should not include their child’s full name anywhere on the website. Within SchoolFinder, secondary students above the age of 13 may write school reviews, however students' names will never be displayed for privacy reasons.
Information We Collect and How We Use It
Summary of Information We Gather and Track
We gather two types of data about users:
- personal information, which individual users provide (i) when registering as a member of our Websites via Education.com's internal registration form or using Facebook Connect, (ii) when registering as a subscriber to one of our partners’ premium subscription services, (iii) when using Worksheets, Activities, Workbooks, Collections, Blogs, JustAsk, SchoolFinder, MyEdu, or our Download All feature and any other community features on our site, (iv) when participating in surveys and polls, (v) when participating in surveys or sweepstakes; (vi) when posting comments to Blogs; and (vii) when signing up to receive one or more of our free email newsletters and notifications; and
- tracking information, which is automatically collected about all visitors to the Websites.
We collect personal information in several places on our Websites, which are set forth generally below. We will always provide a secure area of our Websites for you to enter your information.
Currently, visitors to our site are able to have access to some content without becoming a member. However, visitors who would like to download worksheets, gain access to the community features on our site, or rate editorial content on Education.com, are required to register to become a member. In order to register, visitors must supply us with a valid email address, a unique User Name and password, and some additional information about you (e.g., your "type": parent, teacher, or student; zip code, etc.).
If you are not currently registered as an Education.com member and you use the Facebook Connect functions, you will first be asked to enter your Facebook credentials and then will be given the option to register and join Education.com. Once you register with Education.com and connect with Facebook, you will be given the opportunity to opt in to posting Education.com activity back to your Facebook wall.
If you’d like access to one or more of our paid offerings (Education.com Plus, Workbooks, Brainzy), you'll need to register for our site, and you'll be asked to provide additional personal, billing, or other specified information that we'll need to charge for and activate the service or product. Customers purchasing Brainzy (Education.com's online learning program) will be asked to provide personal information about their children including name, gender and date of birth. Children using Brainzy will never be asked to provide personal information.
Blogs, JustAsk, SchoolFinder, MyEdu and Comments
At certain times, you may be asked to participate in surveys, which are generally aimed at obtaining general information, such as your reactions to a particular article or feature set on our site. Because information obtained in these surveys is connected with individual subscribers and is used internally to better market our services, participation is voluntary. In addition, some of our advertising partners will on occasion take polls of our visitors. Such polls are for use by the advertising partner, and participation is voluntary. We do not assure privacy of information voluntarily provided in response to a survey or poll.
Contests and Sweepstakes
We sometimes offer contests or sweepstakes in which certain personal information is required for registration, for purposes of verifying the entrants’ identities and notifying the winners. If the contest or sweepstakes is being administered by a third party, this information will be disclosed to that third party. However, entrants may select contest names distinct from their User Names, and the information is not connected with their User Names.
Tracking data consists of both individual and aggregated tracking information and is automatically gathered using “cookies.” A cookie is a small data file containing information, such as a user’s member name, that is written to the user’s hard drive by a web server and used to track the pages visited.
Tracking by our contractors and agents
Tracking by our Advertisers
Our advertisers include a wide variety of companies, such as financial services companies (e.g., brokerage firms, banks, and mortgage companies), computer manufacturers, software companies, automobile makers, toy manufacturers, and retail stores. Our advertisers and advertising vendors display targeted advertisements. Although we do not provide any personal information to the advertiser or advertising vendor, by interacting with or clicking on an ad you consent to the possibility that the advertiser will assume you meet the criteria used to target the add.
In addition to cookies placed by us or our agents, as described above, advertisers and advertising vendors that serve ads onto our web sites may use their own cookies or other tracking technologies. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any such advertisers and vendors.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit networkadvertising.org.>
Use of the Information
We use personal information to enhance users’ experiences on our sites.
If you’re a registered member, we use your email address to send you free email newsletters containing selected editorial, educational content, advertisements and links to our sites and social media accounts. You can select which free newsletters you would like to receive or remove yourself from our free newsletter delivery list at any time by visiting your Newsletter Preferences page.
Special Offers and Advertisements
We may from time to time send registered members of Education.com special offers and advertisements for products or services offered by our company or third parties. We will not disclose any of your personal information to such third parties when we do this. If you do not wish to receive third party offers and advertisements, please change your settings on your Newsletter Preferences page.
If you’re a registered member and you subscribe to JustAsk questions, topics and/or experts, we use your email address to send you notifications relevant to your subscription. You can select which subscriptions you would like to receive (as well as the frequency of those subscriptions), or remove yourself from JustAsk subscriptions, at any time by visiting your JustAsk Subscriptions page.
Webinars and Events
If you register for an Education.com webinar or event, we use your email address to send you notifications relevant to the webinar or event.
Choice and Opt-out
Members may opt out of receiving updates, notifications, and/or newsletters by de-selecting the corresponding boxes in the Newsletter Preferences page. Updates, newsletters and email notifications will also include instructions for opting-out of those communications. Also, the “My Settings” page within MyEdu is where a member can opt-out of having his/her profile shown or featured on the site, and make other profile disclosure selections.
If you request restrictions on our uses or disclosures of your personal information, we may comply with your request by terminating your membership and deleting your account information. Opt out requests do not affect information that we have previously disclosed.
Disclosures of Information
We do not sell or disclose the personal information about you described above to nonaffiliated parties (including but not limited to companies, authorities, institutions, or individuals) except to provide you with products or services, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, from law enforcement agencies or state and federal regulators, or as otherwise required by law;
- To assert or defend our legal rights, including fraud prevention;
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of other persons;
- As we deem appropriate to attempt to prevent physical or emotional harm to other persons and/or to their property based on overt or implied threat;
- In connection with an actual or proposed corporate merger, acquisition, asset purchase, or other transaction or proceeding involving all or part of the business or assets to which the information pertains.
- Disclosures for Joint Marketing and Servicing: We may disclose all the information we collect as described above to other companies such as direct marketers to perform marketing services on our behalf, or other institutions with whom we have joint marketing agreements.
We do not disclose personal information directly or indirectly to third parties for these third parties’ own marketing purposes.
Correcting and Updating Information
We offer members the ability to correct or update online certain information we collected during registration by visiting the Member Profile page.
We limit access to personal information about you to those employees whom we determine need access to that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with industry standards to guard your personal information. However, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our servers, nor can we guarantee that information that users supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
Your Independent Relationship With Other Companies
When a parent joins Brainzy, and signs their child up to Brainzy, we will obtain his or her consent to the collection, use and disclosure of their child's personal information when they use their credit card to pay for the Brainzy Service. When a teacher signs students up to Brainzy and uses our Services in the classroom or an educational setting, we are not required to obtain parental consent, under COPPA. In such cases, the teacher is required to provide consent to the collection and use of personal information from children and is required to affirm to us that they have the authority to do so.
What Information Do We Collect About Children and Why?
We may collect information about children directly from parents and (where applicable) teachers, as well as automatically through a child's use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly.
During registration, we will collect a parent's, or where applicable a teacher's, name and email address, as well as the child's name, gender and date of birth.
Information We Collect Automatically.
We may also automatically collect the following non-personally identifiable information about users of our Site and Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies: domain name; browser type and operating system; web pages viewed while logged in; links clicked; the length of time spent on our Site, Mobile App or Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led a user to our Site. We also may collect IP address and other unique identifiers from children, but we will only use then to provide our Services and to understand user activity while using our Services.
How We Use Your Child's Information
We do not use children's information for advertising and marketing purposes. We use the personal information that we gather about children for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services, including to respond to customer service and technical support issues and requests; and
- To improve our Site and Services.
We may also use aggregate or de-identified information about users of Brainzy. When we do so, we strip out names, email and contact information and other personal identifiers. We may use aggregate or de-identified information for the following purposes:
- To better understand how users access and use our Site and Services;
- To improve our Site and Services, as well as our other products and services, and respond to user desires and preferences; and
- For other research and analytical purposes.
How We Share Your Child's Information
We do not sell children's personal information. In general, we may disclose the personal information that we collect about children to provide our Services, to comply with the law, and to protect Brainzy and other users of our Services. For example, we may share children's personal information as follows:
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from children to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf. These third parties are subject to confidentiality and security obligations.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the personal information we have collected from to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the personal information we collect in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, subpoena or other legal process.
- To Protect Us and Others. We also may disclose the personal information we collect where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service or this COPPA Policy, or as evidence in litigation in which Brainzy is involved.
- With Parents and Teachers. Parents are able to log in to view information about their child's use of the Services, including their performance on certain games. In addition, if a child has been registered to use Brainzy by a teacher, that teacher may view information about the child's activities.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may also use and share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Your Rights to Review, Delete and Control Our Use of Your Child's Personal Information
Parents have a right to review the information we have collected about their child, to delete it, and to tell us to no longer use their child's personal information. You can review most of the information we collect about your child by logging in to your account and reviewing your account information and updating the information we maintain about your child. If you do not want us to collect and use your child's information anymore, then you may cancel your account and your child's use of the Services. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to your child's information or cancellation of your child's account. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time.
Changes to this COPPA Policy
This COPPA Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth below. We may change this COPPA Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this COPPA Policy on our Site, at http://www.education.com/privacy/. If we make any changes to this COPPA Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from your child, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site. Effective Date: September 1, 2013.
Education.com operates the Site, Mobile App and Services. Questions or comments regarding this policy should be directed to email@example.com, or by writing to 2317 Broadway Street, Suite 240, Redwood City, CA 94063.