Anonymous
Q:

My 10 year old has a girl in her class who doesn't want anyone to be her friend, and keeps taking her friends away and trying to get everyone to ignore here.

How to stop a girl from taking away friends and saying mean things about my daughter to her friends and family.  this girl makes it a point to exclude my daughter from social events with girls who are her friends
In Topics: Bullying and teasing, Friendships and peer relationships

|

Nebraska

If you haven't already had a meeting with your daughter's teacher, I would schedule a meeting with her and see what her perspective is on the matter. I would talk with your daughter and have her write out the names of the kids with whom she would like to be friends. You could then arrange some play dates with these girls. I would also think about activities outside of school (i.e., sports, music, drama, church, etc.) that your daughter could get involved with in order to expand her friendship choices. The more opportunities she has to make different friends the better off she'll be.

2
0

We are sorry that your daughter is going through this difficult time at school. If you have not done so already, talk to your daughter's teacher to get their perspective and to ask for support. It is possible that the teacher has no idea what is going on with your daughter and the other girls. Girls bully by gossiping and excluding others, and they can hide it easier than boys who tend to be more physically aggressive. You can also talk to the school counselor. The counselor may have more experience with bullying issues and can take more time to meet with the girls.  

It is not easy to see our children struggle. The best thing you can do for your daughter is to equip her to be confident and resilient under the circumstances.  With your continued support and encouragement, along with the support of the school, she will gain the confidence she needs to face the situation at school.

We talk to parents and kids every day who are struggling with bullying and relationship issues. Please reach out to our Hotline, either by phone or by e-mail for more support. We also have a website for parents which is listed below. We are here 24/7 to listen and to help!

Take care and best wishes to you and your daughter!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
www.parenting.org

0
0