AATyler
AATyler asks:
Q:

My 10 year old is picky on food and driving me crazy

My oldest son is 10 and he wont eat but try foods. He wants to eat fast food all the time. Ive tried sneaking it in food and he tells me what I put in it, ive tried fruit drinks with veggies in it, ive tried fruits and he says get this and this but then says I dont like it anymore, he has helped cook and shop for food but ont eat it. My 4,2,1 year old will eat all kimds of food and will say to him to eat it and he wont. Im concerned cuz he plays sports and he is losing strength and stamnia. Ive tried saying eat what we have or nothing and he will go to bed hungry and sick. He wont eat mashed potatoes, chicken, hamburger, hambuger helper, lettuce, tomato, nothing unless its fast food. He eats those hamburgers or chicken sandwhich, or pizza, or ribs, fries but not at home. Unless I say no sports til u eat it. Then he will but not all of it and sometime puke. When he was little I would make something different for him but I know thats why im having this issue but its way worse now he wont eat things he says he likes. Im at my wits, oh he wont drink juices, kool aid, etc only soda and milk. No water! I dont know what to do. Plz help doctors tell me same thing and said give him pedia sure but he wont drink that either.
In Topics: Nutrition, My picky eater

|

mheyman

If he is losing weight, you'll need to get professional help.  If his weight is stable or increasing, then he is obviously getting enough calories.  You need to avoid forcing him to eat and avoid getting into 'food fights' -- you will not win those!

Take the stress out; offer him the food you eat, matter of fact, and no alternatives.  When he's hungry, eventually he'll start eating.  Good news is there appear to be several foods that can still provide good nutritional balance, including milk, meat, cheese (pizza), sandwiches (depending on what is put on the bread).  Stop soda (all water and milk he wants).  You could try adding Instant Breakfast to the milk to see if that helps appetite.

The web site linked to this answer is from the American Academy of Pediatrics and gives some suggested approaches to such children.
0
0