Juanita112
Juanita112 asks:
Q:

My 10 years old son doesn't like his new school.

We just moved our 5th grader (gifted) to an excellent charter school in the area where my oldest (16) also attends.  Our 5th grader is very easy going, friendly, always happy and well liked by others but  he is not happy with the recent school change. After the first day of school he cried all evening saying that he doesn't like the school setting and that he misses his old friends and teachers.  He approached a couple of kids to make friends but they did not welcome him.  He tried to share snacks trying to make friends but it didn't work. This new school is proven to be an excellent school and it's very hard to get in it (lottery). I didn't want to wait until middle school to make the change but it breaks my heart to see him crying because he truly is a wonderful child in all aspects.  The school year just started but will this stage pass or should I start considering changing him back to his old school? Thanks in advance for your help.
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|
Tiff49r
Tiff49r writes:
HI Juanita!  I'm hoping someone can answer your question.  I am having the same issue with my son.  He's in third grade (gifted), outgoing, friendly, easy going, happy etc.  We changed to a school closer to home so we could make life easier and eliminate an hour plus commute each way.  He knew about the school change for a YEAR so it was not a surprise.  He likes his new teacher a lot, but that's about it.  He wants desperately to return to his old school and friends, but it is not an option.  As an Air Force brat, I was forced to change schools every 2 years and somehow I survived, so I'm hoping in time he will be okay.  In the meantime, seeing him cry about school is breaking my heart.  We are 4 weeks in and he is still miserable.  Thankfully his grades have not been affected (so far).  We have parent teacher conferences in 2 days so I will post if his teacher has any thoughts on the matter.  Good luck!!!

0
0
Juanita112
Juanita112 writes:
Hi and Thanks for taking the time to read my question.  
It is so hard to see them sad, especially when you know that they are normally very happy. I tried to explain to my son that life is full of changes and with his personality it was just a matter of time for him to make new friends, as he is the "new kid in the block" and he must go through this process. I sent emails to his teachers asking for their cooperation with the other students, I hope it gets better for all of us soon.  Good luck!

0
0