GIGGLE GAL
GIGGLE GAL asks:
Q:

My 11 yr old is a great kid but he's been sneaking things out of the house and taking them to school.  Any advice?

My 11 year old son is a great kid but we have found that he has been sneaking things out of the home and taking them to school. This is after he lost his Game boy!!

We have talked to him about taking things from the home and that it is not acceptable to do this . That he has to ask first and yes the answer might be no but he has to ask first of all.

So now I find that he has taken something else to school and not does he hide the evidence but leaves it in the front room so I can see he has taken it out of his room. Is he just very forgetful or do you have any ideas as to why he is doing these things?

He gets caught out on many occasions telling lies and when he does do something wrong can not tell you why he has done it! It is coming very frustrating. Please help with any advice, I'm starting to think it's me!!!

|

Teaching kids to be honest, follow your rules and accepting a 'no' answer is a frustration shared by many parents. With time, consistency and consequences, his behavior can change.

Practice teaching him to be honest, follow rules and accepting 'no' answers. For example, ask him to be honest about his day. Who he saw, what he ate for lunch (you may know this as you made his lunch or looked at the lunch menu), what he wore to school, what he has in his book bag, etc. Praise him for being honest. Your son needs to feel that he is being good. Can he earn some privilege 'time' with his game boy if he follows rules?

Ultimately, you want to trust your son again. Explain to him that he is taking items to school that could be disruptive to the class, get damaged, lost or stolen, and furthermore, is he prepared to earn a consequence at school for his decision?

Good luck, and if you need someone to talk to you can call the Boys Town National Hotline at 1-800-448-3000. Our 24/7 hotline is focused on helping kids and parents.
0
0

fritzr
fritzr writes:
There is an interesting article about lying, cheating and stealing.  You can view it here: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/The_Lowdown_Lying_Stealing_and/

0
0