Anonymous
Q:

My 11 yr old son has started refusing to do things I've asked.  He simply tells me no and that he will just accept the punishment.  What can I do?

|

Talk to your son.  Set rules.  Make consequences for not following them clear.  For tweens/teens withdrawing privileges works best.  Be consistent.  If your son continues defiance, consult with a pediatric therapist.

0
0

linda.theappletree
linda.theap... writes:
It is possible that the punishment may not be the correct punishment for him.  What you ask him to do must have "natural consequences" as a punishment.  For instance, if he does not pick up his toys, you will put them in a box and take them away for a week because you do not want him to have a dirty room. Also, we need to pick and choose our battles.  If everything is always an argument, then take a step back and look at what MUST be done.  And look for other ways to praise him.  (My mother, jokingly, used to come into my messy bedroom when I was younger and she would say "My, what a nice clean ceiling you have!"

2
0