grooveedee
grooveedee asks:
Q:

12 year old daughter is having problems making/keeping friends

I find my daughter to be kind, caring, responsible, funny, smart and just an all round good kid.  Her teacher told me that she is intelligent and a great role model for other kids.  She said that she always includes others in things and tries to solve conflict.  She also said she is mature and responsible.
Now, that being said, she seems to have real issues finding and keeping close friends.  Nobody ever calls her to invite her to do things or even just to chat.  She will call them every now and then to invite them over to hang out or have a sleepover.  One girl said she was coming and then just didn't show up.  Another girl came over,, said she was sleeping over and then went home in the evening because she had a headache.
My heart breaks for her.  She feels like maybe they don't like her because she is a very simple girl that really isn't into fussing with her hair and other girly girl things.  She is more into video games and is very interested in "tech" type stuff.  Having said that, she always asks the other girl what they would like to do and is accommodating.  She feels like they think she is tomboyish or something.
How do I handle this?  I have told her there is nothing wrong with being yourself and there is nothing wrong with her.  I have also told her that this is a very awkward and difficult time for all girls....they may not all have the same problems, but most girls to struggle with something during this time in their lives.  What should I do?
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|