Anonymous
Q:

12-year old Grand Niece is in trouble

My 12-year old grand niece, who has always been able to talk to me about anything is having problems with her mom. Forgive me but my niece, her mother, has always been self-centered; she had 4 kids & all experienced emotional problems because of her disassociation from them. Even when they live with her (getting evicted every year) then getting married & living in hotels - when evicted she went to live with her husband's (separated - but living in different rooms & lives) mother. My grand niece expressed a desire to end her life; her mother calls her all kinds of names & I feel, from talking with her she is on the brink. I don't want her to feel isolated & alone. I told her to ask her mother if they could talk & she said her mother said, "What do you want to talk about & then said "No." She called me crying hysterically; saying she wanted to come to my house for the weekend. What do I do now! I don't want to lose her & I don't want to come between a mother & daughter. But my niece (her mother) has always been like that & gets angry when someone tries to talk to her about the situation.
In Topics: Teen issues

|

It's great that your grand niece feels comfortable in talking with you. You are right to be concerned about her safety.

We understand that this might be an uncomfortable conversation to have with your niece but there is concern for her daughter's safety.

You could also share with both your nieces the following websites and phone number for hot-lines that work with parents and teen

Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000
0
0