elizamichele
elizamichele asks:
Q:

12 year old grandson is failing in private school.

My grandson started attending a new catholic school, he has lots of homework everynight this is overwhelming for both us as we are up late at night trying to complete what should be done, but he does not turn the work in the next day I found out.  His worse subject is math.  He reads well, but maybe not comprehending.  We have asked for a tutor for his math, he didn't get any help.  He has attened catholic school for five years, yet he is not getting good grades, this school send reports that he is below average.  He improved his grades the second time, but has gone back down to an F this last marking period.  I have threatened him but he is unfazed by his bad grades. He will have to attend summer school to pass 7th grade.  

I talk  to him, he listens I guess, but he still repeats the same pattern, he is not allowed to watch TV or play with his PSP.  He has no downtime to play due to his homework.  He can't go out to play with other children for the same reason.  He has no friend and he found out that his favorite cousin tried to bully him over the holiday, expressed hurt.  he lives with me during the school week and goes home with his mom on the weekend.  His mother takes him to show and he is a traveling kid.

He is a wonderful child.  His loves to draw, that is where is concentration is as he draws in class.   He is not motivated unless I engage him in some studies.  

What can I do to help him.  Please help me.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|
cyber_school_mom
cyber_schoo... writes:
Have you considered the home-based charter schools?  There are a number of them around the country.  California Virtual Academy (CAVA), Colorado Virtual Academy (COVA), Arizona Virtual Academy (AZVA), just to name a few.  K12 is the curriculum for these three schools, but there are others to choose from. My son went to school at both public and private and would could come home with too much home work.  He's been in a virtual academy for almost 4 years 6th-9th grades and finally has time for extra curricular activities.

0
0
Hello Grandparent!

I am a homeschooling parent and just happen to run across this article, so perhaps I can help. First of all, you are going to have to place yourself outside of the roll of grandparent and into the role of investigator. You are now sent on a mission to find out what subjects your grandson is failing at why. SO now is the time to gather some clues. The first thing I would do is take a look at his social and family life. Write down what is positive in his life and then write down some negative things. Ask yourself: Could these issues be affecting his grades?
Now, set a personal appointment up with the school. Take a notebook and ask the teachers plenty of questions. How does he act in class?
Does he complete the classwork?
Ask the teacher about his motivation and attention span in class.
Once you have gathered all your clues, then ask your grandson some questions. What is your favorite subject? Favorite teacher? Etc..

Now place all your knowledge on a table and try to fit the pieces together. I am sure you will come up with something. However, I must say that most Catholic schools are prepatory. This means they are preparing the chidlren for college and work at a faster rate than most schools. If your grandson is not interested in school, he may not be thriving in this fast-paced environment. You may want to have him tested for the SAT test. This will tell you where his strengths and weaknesses are.

Finally, once have decided what road to take. Take the proactive approach! Meaning be positive! Even in times of dismay, your attitude will eventually be an influence over your grandson. Try to remain positive always reminding him that no mountain is too high to climb.
Good Luck!

1
0
instrectermamble
instrecterm... writes:
Hi, elizamichele.

Consider contacting your grandson's teacher(s) to devise a structured system to keep everyone in the loop about what assignments are due and when.
Start by making sure he uses a daily planner, and help him learn how to use it to keep track of deadlines. If he's doing the homework, but forgets to put it in his backpack, that's where you come in to remind him. If it makes it into his backpack, the teacher can help remind him to turn it in.  

Best of luck to you!

2
0
aldric
aldric writes:
check around in your area or out of the area for places where children can go get help with there homework or look in the telephone book for places that help children succeed in different area that there failing

0
1