beanies2
beanies2 asks:
Q:

How do I get my 12 year old son to try new food?

He hardly eats. I'm concerned as he is growing very fast 7 has lots of energy but burns it straight away as he is not eating enough. He just wants toasted cheese sandwiches & chocolate. He does drink milk which is  a good thing but he won't try any fruit or veges. I think our family eats pretty healthy as we have fruit & veges but my son won't try any.
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Hello!

There are many good books and websites that discuss nutrition and young teens. One of the common themes is being sure that a child of this age gets to make choices, help with grocery shopping and preparation in order to feel a bit "in control".  Also, having friends who do eat veggies and fruit may be of help.  Smoothies are often a hit among this age group, too!

Lastly, a multivitamin, if sanctioned by his physician, may be a way to sneak in the nutrients when all else is not possible.

0
0

Wayne Yankus writes:
You buy the food for the house and control the in-house meals but the only way to control food eaten outside the home is to stop the spending money.  I would agree with the other expert that smoothies and non-conforming food with him making choices will help.  also teach him to cook!

0
0
Tiff49r
Tiff49r writes:
You may have tried this already (or your son may be too smart for this), but a friend of mine found a book that basically shows how parents can HIDE/SNEAK vegetables into other foods.  For example, she would puree carrots and add them to spaghetti sauce etc.  The kids had no clue they were eating carrots!

0
0