sneezy asks:

How do I help get my 12 yr. old niece back in school?

I have a 12 year old niece who is not in school. She started 7th grade an Sept. 2013. She told her Dad that someone was mean to her and refused to go back. They decided to try home schooling. My sister got all the needed things in order for her to do this at home. Now for a couple of months she is not even doing this and stays home all day, sleeps in, watches TV and plays games on computer. My sister and her ex live in same house with my niece. They both have issues of their own. My sister is an alcoholic who, 1 week ago arrested for duii. He smokes a lot of marijuana. They do nothing to get this child to school. I am so concered for this girl as I don't see much future or way of life if this continues. I hate to see her be a middle school drop-out but the long this goes on it is looking that way. Any idea's please? My mother passed away unexpectedly in 2007. My mother was a retired 1st grade teacher and had worked with her on reading and writing. My mother spent a lot of time with her in her younger years and even had a bedroom set up in her home and a family room all set up for her....children's books, toys, clothing etc. My mother was a stable factor in her life. Then all of a sudden grandma die's Aug. 2007 right before 1st grade was to start for her. She started pulling this kind of business in 1st grade, not wanting to go to school. Over the years she has had much absentism at school. Now the situation has only gotten worse. She flat out is not in school and her parent's
In Topics: Discipline and behavior challenges
> 60 days ago



Boys Town National Hotline
Feb 14, 2014
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

If your sister and her ex are not meeting the educational needs of your niece this is a form a neglect and you are right this issue needs to be addressed immediately.

Have you tried speaking with your sister about her concerns? It seems that your mom wasn't only a source of support for your niece but also your sister and since her death both have been struggling.

You might also try contacting the school that your niece should be attending. They may not be able to provide you with a lot of information but they could give you referrals for resources in our area.

You could also make a report with Child Protective Services in your area.

Boys Town National Hot line

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely