Purplepeater
Purplepeater asks:
Q:

My 14 year ok son is losing friends

My son wasn't invited to his friends Halloween party. He was very upset. As I'm friends with the family I asked the girls Aunt what was up; it turns out he's been teasing the girl, a life long friend, about her acne. Shes already very insecure about it& doesn't know why he would be so mean to her. I don't know how to approach the matter without getting cross with him! I'm sure he knows that it's hurtful to do that. Help
In Topics: Teen issues

|

The best advice we can give you is to remind your son how it feels when someone says hurtful things to him or when someone makes fun of him.  It is important to teach our children empathy.  

Our job as parents is to teach to our children when they make mistakes or when they do things they are not supposed to.  How we teach to them is to make sure they earn consequences for their behaviors and actions.  We encourage you to have your son apologise to this young lady for making fun of her, and then make sure he earns a consequence such as loss of privilege/priviedges (TV, video games, cell phone, computer, etc.).

We hope that you find these suggestions and advice helpful.  Please take care and remember that you can call the Boys Town National Hotline 24 hours a day at the number below, free of charge to discuss any parenting issue.  We are here to help, you are not alone!

Chris, Counselor

1-800-448-3000

0
0