TerrySF
TerrySF asks:
Q:

What can I do with my 15 yo son who is one year younger than his peers? He is a very sociable but most of teachers see his maturity isn't competitive.

Because the school district set the cut off date on 15th of November; my son then becomes the youngest kid in his grade all the time. We have been advised to retain him for one more year when he was 2nd grader; somehow, we didn't do that.

He was able to prove us that he is able to make it in terms of academics, sport, and music. He was able to promote his to the required level all the way till 7th grade, the we saw some shaking but still graduated from middle school.

On his 9th grade, most of grades are B, few are A and C. He then challenge to take two AP classes on his current 10th grade.

But now, he has hard time not to fail these two APs and English but in the mean time he keeps his Advance Algebra and History all straight A. He has hard time focus in the class, can't follow instruction 100% precisely for major projects, study till 12pm or 1am daily. Should I retain him now? What impact to his college application presentation if we retain him? How to present the GPA to college if he repeats the 10th grade? How to solve it gracefully?
Member Added on Apr 11, 2014
I meant detaining him by transferring him to other high school and study 10th grade again. Since colleges only look into 10th and 11th grade GPA, will current school's 10th grade record be required to show after transferred?
In Topics: School and Academics, My child's growth and development

|

Hello and thank you for writing!

It would seem that a meeting with the School Counselor or School Psychologist may help both your son and yourself.  Sometimes, these professionals can put a perspective on a situation that we as parents may not always see.

1
0