Anonymous
Q:

I am 16 and i cut myself.for many reason what should i do?

In Topics: Teen issues

|

You should tell an adult that you trust what's going on. This might be a parent or another family member. This could also be a teacher or counselor at school or maybe a coach or mentor.

It can be very scary to open up to others about our thoughts and feelings you might think about taking a moment to write things out. This can help you to keep your thoughts organized so that you are really able to clearly present your concerns.

The yourlifeyourvoice website has some great articles and journal pages that you might find helpful. Take a moment to check it out.

A.
Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000

0
0

CaseyM99
CaseyM99 writes:
Cutting yourself is often a way to try and take control over your emotional pain, a pain you may not even be aware of. What you feel instead of the emotions is the need to cut, and it can be very strong. To stop the cutting, you need to find a safe person that you can discuss your life with - your emotions, problems, family, whatever it is that might be causing you to feel that need to cut. Usually a counselor, psychologist, or other professional is needed. At 16 it can be really hard to tell your parent you need to see someone, especially if they don't know you cut. If this is a problem, try to get in with the school counselor or your doctor, tell them the truth, and and have them recommend professional help.

While you wait for help to get there, find someone you love more than you love yourself. See if you can make a contract with that person not to cut yourself until help arrives. If that's too much, try it on a day to day basis. If you fail, it's okay. It happens. The key is to keep trying.

It's very hard to put down the knife, or whatever you use, but it can be done. I did it. I was a cutter once, and now I'm not. It's a long road between those two places, but it can be done, and it is so worth it when you succeed.

0
0