amys.
amys. asks:
Q:

Hi my 17 month old daughter does not say any wors at all not mama not dada nothing should I be concerd?

In Topics: Cognitive development, Speech and language issues

|

You may wish to talk with your pediatrician and also request an early intervention evaluation by your school district to determine if your child is experiencing delays with language and speech.

Here is also a website to guide you learn more about speech and hearing in children.

http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/12.htm

Best wishes.

2
0

hniemier
hniemier writes:
Yes, your daughter should be starting to label nouns of common items around your house (names of people, pets, etc) and common leave takings/greetings.  I would recommend seeking out a speech language therapist who could begin working with you guys.  I am a certified SLP who works with this population (0-age 3) :)

0
0
gina2009
gina2009 writes:
yes. i am studying speech therapy,and  she should be babbling. etc. i would check her hearing. it could be she isnt ready, every child has their own time line for speaking. it could be nothing, but keep an eye on it and maybe get her evaluated by a therapist. good luck.

0
0
teriann1170
teriann1170 writes:
Both of my boys did not REALLY start talking until 2.5 years old.  My first child was babbling, though.  But with my second child, he was not saying any words at 18mo, except mama and dada, that was all.  His ped sent us to a speech therapist.  She worked with him for about three weeks, mainly putting peanut butter on his upper lip, causing him to lick his lips.  I'm sure she did other things, but she basically said that his tongue was just sort of "hanging out" in his mouth, not being useful.  This little bit of work jump started him and then he took off without any problems.

0
0
zuena
zuena writes:
No, u shouldn't be concerned b'se their some children who start talking at 2yrs and 3yrs . so don't stress yo self.
Mainly it is due to maturity rate in dat case her maturity rate is slow.
Be proud of yo child she will talk.

1
0
Tazgrl1101
Tazgrl1101 writes:
I was concerned my daughter was 15 months and still wasn't talking I had her evaluated.  She needed Speech therapy.  This year she graduated Kindergarten and no longer needs the therapy. I am glad I had her evaluated.

0
0
moriha
moriha writes:
YES, you should have the child tested for autism, don't wait. Bring it to your primary doctors attention ASAP. I recently found out my child is autistic. Speech is the number one sign so don't wait.

0
0