Anonymous
Q:

Have you seen the 2010 Disney movie, "Alice in Wonderland" with your kids? If so, what did you/they think? Too scary for kids ages 5-10?  

The previews/trailers for the new Disney movie, "Alice in Wonderland" seem a little scary (particularly the music and goth costuming/make-up). However, the movie is rated PG.

If you have seen the film with your kids, what did you think: was it too scary for children ages 5-10? What age do you think is old enough to see this film? Any other comments for parents considering taking their kids to see this film?
In Topics: Children and screen entertainment (TV & movies), Parenting / Our Family, Creative arts

|

TheMediatrician

Dear Anonymous,

The whimsy and fantasy of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, as well as its PG-rating and earlier animated version, seem to imply that the movie is geared toward children. And it may indeed be a wonderful movie experience for some. The idea of Alice returning to Wonderland as a teenager—who doesn’t remember being there the first time and, for much of the movie, believes it to be a dream—can bring a new and engaging twist to a familiar story.

But some of what might make the movie fun for older children might make it quite unnerving for younger ones. The movie plays a great deal with the border between fantasy and reality, between dreams and waking life, between “madness” and “sanity.” And since research (http://bit.ly/cvDN9l) has shown us that young children have trouble telling fantasy from reality, that kind of hazy boundary can be particularly disorienting.

One of the main concerns for young children is that the movie may scare them in ways that are too intense for their developmental stage. In addition to the hazy reality/fantasy border, there are also some images that may be frightening, like the physical distortions of some of the characters (the Red Queen has a disproportionately large head) and the darkness of others (like the electric-fire-breathing Jabberwocky that Alice must fight).

These are some of the factors that may play into your child’s reaction to this movie, but ultimately, you as her parent know best how your child will respond. If your gut tells you that something will unnerve or disturb her, you’re probably right. If you aren’t sure, I would recommend reading some parent-oriented reviews (http://bit.ly/b4fiAq) or seeing the movie yourself before you decide whether to share it with her. And remember, you can always share the book now (http://bit.ly/2j3agT) and save the movie for when she's a bit older.

Enjoy your media and use them wisely,
Dr. Michael Rich, The Mediatrician®

This question was also answered on Ask the Mediatrician: http://cmch.typepad.com/mediatrician/2010/03/should-i-take-my-kids-to-see-alice-in-wonderland.html

4
0
MovieMegan

Best Answer!

Even though it's rated PG, 'Alice in Wonderland' is not necessarily a "kids" film. It's hard to gauge an age range since every child is different. That is why I list everything parents should be aware of in my reviews, so they can decide whether or not the content is suitable for their child.

Check out my review for 'Alice' here:
6
0

ASTROM1
ASTROM1 writes:
My wife and I saw the film over the weekend. It's probably too scary for kids under 8-10 years old. The audience I went in with (7:30 pm) was mostly young adults, so it was difficult to gauge how younger viewers would react to some of the scarier moments. This is not your father's Alice In Wonderland. Definitely darker and more violent. The climax of the movie is Alice fighting a dragon with a sword! It also felt a little long/slow in the middle. My wife fell asleep for a bit. So I'd say some younger kids might be bored, even at 109 minutes. If I were grading it, as a whole, I would give it a B, or B+.

3
0
jobu
jobu writes:
I took my 11 year old daughter Emma and her friend Kate to "Alice" yesterday and they loved it. They weren't spooked in the least. They were more taken with the incredible costumes, makeup and sets. And yes of course they loved Alice. This is completely appropriate for their age.

4
0
I just saw the film with an Alice fan (in her early '30s) and my eight-year-old. While visually appealing, all three of us found the movie to be too dark and scary. I kept hoping that the scary scenes would pass and we'd move on to lighter content, but they seemed never ending throughout the movie, one after the other. A couple examples: in one scene, Alice walks across human heads floating in the moat outside the Red Queen's castle; in another, a small mouse puts a sword through the eye of a beast, and rips the eyeball out of its socket (then carries it around in a bag). I definitely think parents should pre-screen this film before taking their children under age 10 -- I regret not having done that myself!

1
0
education.com writes:
For more insights...

This movie was also reviewed in the SheSpeaks online community for women, with some mothers sharing their opinions here:

http://www.shespeaks.com/productdetails/144498

0
0
Anonymous