abnikki
abnikki asks:
Q:

How to get my 2.5 yo to eat new foods with out a fight.

Its kind of our fault that he is such a picky eater. He was my first and I was afraid that he will choke so didn't introduce a lot of new foods until after he was a year old. Now it seems like a power struggle to feed him anything new. There is fighting and screaming and gagging for about 10 minutes and then for the most part he gives in and eats. Such a contrast to my 8 month old, that I started giving him my food as i was eating it. He grabs and eats what ever is given to him. I don't want my house to become a restaurant, I think he should eat what I make for him. How should I proceed? Is he too young to go to bed hungry? For the most part, he is a very good boy and listens, just need to solve this food issue.
In Topics: Nutrition, My picky eater, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

First of all, relax!  The family meal-time is that it should be enjoyable!  Toddlers do not have much control over their world so they will refuse to eat if they sense that it is extremely important to their parents that they clean up the plate.

First of all, realize that your job as a parent is to provide your toddler with  nutritional meals.  Second, remember that your child's job is to eat it!  So, expect that your son eats whatever you make.  If he does not, let him leave the table when the whole family is done eating.  To let him better understand  when he ca leave the table, you can set the timer to let him know when he is excused.

To assure that he eats well, serve a little bit of his favorite food on the plate and something new next to it.  Just make sure that the foods do not touch each other.  Serve 3 meals and nutritious snacks in between.

Suggested readings:

Understanding picky eating
http://www.pluggedinparents.com/component/content/article/271

Ways to help a picky eater
http://www.pluggedinparents.com/component/content/article/262

0
0

qijian
qijian writes:
Give him or her the same kind of food everyday.

0
1
JeanneBrockmyer
JeanneBrock... writes:
You are facing a tough age for a power struggle about anything, much less food!  There are differing opinions, even among pediatricians, on how to handle this situation.  It's great that your child does not have other behavioral issues, that should make it easier to get through this problem.
One option is to have only what the family is eating available for meals.  If your child is doing well on his growth curve (ask his doctor if you don't know), then it is not a problem for him to occasionally go to bed hungry.  Another option (and my preferred one) is to have a backup selection that you know he will eat.  I would suggest requiring he taste whatever the family's main dish is.  If the child resists tasting, then he should simply sit with the family while the meal goes on.  If he will taste, but doesn't want to eat more, then have a backup option available.  Most children like peanut butter and jelly which is actually a relatively healthy option.  It's also something that a child can prepare for himself, maybe not at age 2, but soon.  The backup option should not require a lot of extra preparation by you, something that can be thrown in the microwave at most.
However you decide to proceed, it's great that you realize that engaging in power struggles over food is highly undesirable and not in anyone's best interests!

Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Ph. D.
education.com expert clinical child psychologist

0
0
robertbell1
robertbell1 writes:
You have to give him/her the same kind of food every time. Then he/she will eat new foods without any fight.

0
1
Kim14120
Kim14120 writes:
I don't think you caused this by not introducing new foods at an early age. My son is 3, almost 4, and he used to eat everything he was given. Now, as he gets older, I think he just wants to be able to make some choices of his own. At that age, they start to be a bit independent, and only have so many things they have a say in. What I do is this: Involve the child in making the choice of what is for dinner. I always give my son 2 options that are acceptable to me, and he picks the one he can deal with. Allow them to help cook it...this helps a ton because they feel proud of it, and will want to eat it. Also, I agree with making them sit at the table until everyone is finished eating. At this age, they have such "busy" lives, they want to be on the go and learning all kinds of new things, so they might feel like they are losing out on something else they could be doing. Also, after dinner, I try to play a fun game with my son if he eats a reasonable amount of his dinner. I hope this helps! I know how hard it was for me, and hope the stage passes quickly for you! Good luck!

0
0
Anonymous