KRM2012
KRM2012 asks:
Q:

3 year old hurts the cat, what can I do?

I rent a house with my boyfriend and cousin ( a woman) from my uncle (my cousin's dad). My cousin has a 3 year old that lives with us and we all have separate rooms. In the past month the girl has been intentionally hurting the older cat in the house. We have 2 cats, a younger cat and an older one. The young cat meows like she wants to get away every time you pick her up and the older cat is so old that it cannot even really meow at all. I've caught the child many times trying to hurt the older cat and try to keep him even if he tries to get away. I've yelled at her and have told my cousin about it. Even my cousin notices her bad behavior toward the cat. The spankings and time outs do not seem to help or even affect the child at all. She will say that she is sorry to people and the cat but it doesn't sound like she knows what it means and it doesn't sound remorseful. Tonight she kept peeking out her door and I asked what she had in her hand and to let the older cat out of her room and she showed me what it was in her hand. It was a metal-like object from the sewing room that I can only assume she was using to hurt the cat. When she had the door open the cat tried to run out multiple times but she kept shutting it... right on his head and mind you, her hurting the cat has been happening for a while now and I am getting sick of it because it is animal abuse and he is helpless. I have noticed marks on the cat, unsure if it is from the girl. This is worrying me. Any advice?
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Hello and thank you for writing!

Please consider discussing your observations and concerns with a local counselor, pediatrician or early child intervention team. A child being injurious to animals is often considered a "red flag" in behavioral terms which should be addressed by trained professionals.  Resources are available, therefore I would suggest that you try to avail yourself of these.

1
0