allisonbrownn
allisonbrownn asks:
Q:

The 3 year olds I take care of will not get potty trained.  I am just looking for suggestions.

I am a stay home mom. I take care of my son who is 22 months and two 3 year olds. (along with a few more.) My question is...how to handle the potty issue. Both 3 year olds know what they are doing. They still go in their diapers,and pull ups. Their parents have tried underwear still had accidents. I don't know if it is a control issue or what.
One set of parents have major issues with temper tantrumes and everything,on the other hand when he is with me we have no problems...I have yet to see a fit that they have talked about.
The other child has a very is very sweet,strong willed,and gives his mother ALOT of problems. He will go when you ask him to but most of the time he will wet his pull up.
I know this is a long question I am just looking for suggestions.I have tried treats,songs,books,everything.
In Topics: Physical development

|

mheyman

To reiterate, it's important not to punish for behavior you don't want -- including having accidents in pants (or pullups or diapers).  Only reward the success, and downplay rest.  Some kids are not ready to toilet train until after 3; others are sometimes even ready at 2 years (often it depends on peers/role models around them).  Establishing regular times to sit on the toilet (such as right after meals) can be helpful.  My own kids responded to a gummy bear each time they used the toilet successfully at 3 years!  Link for good guide from American Academy of Pediatrics is attached.
0
0

Wayne Yankus writes:
It would appear that you have a lot going on with the children in your care.  Good for you for trying.

By two, most children are in control of their sphincters controlling stool and urine and by three most have recognized the "urge to go".  Focus on timed toileting. By that, take them one at a time every so many intervals to the toilet. No distractions.  If they go, reward; if they don't thank them for trying and go back to another activity. The parents must do the same at home and not be bullied by controlling behavior.  It takes time, but you are on the right track.  Good luck.

0
0
crystaldiamonds
crystaldiam... writes:
I had the same problem with my daughter.  A friend of mine got one of those pin on ribbons that says "Birthday girl" on it.  She gets to wear it when she pees and poops in the potty.  When she has an accident we take it away.  She wants it back she goes to the potty.  I tried candy or treats n gifts and nothing worked.  She was very proud of her ribbon.  It took only about a week with this method.  This was about 2 months ago.  Only one accident since then.  Might give it a try.

0
0