Anumom
Anumom asks:
Q:

How to make my 3 year old son speak to peers and adults

My son use expressions while communicating to his peer group, teachers and adults.. but with some people whom he is comfortable he is complete chatter box. But in school he only interacts with expressions with both teachers and his peer group.At home with 2 friends he is very comfortable and he speaks with them but with other kids he will not.
Consulted speech therapist and she said his speech is fine as per age but has developed a shell not to speak.. How can I override this?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

Consider talking to your School Counselor about social peer groups, to help your son feel more comfortable with conversation outside of the home.

0
0

TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
This is a hard question - I don't know that it can be overridden. It's interesting that he talks outside of school but not in school. I'd suggest making an appointment and spending time in his classroom - sit in the back and the class pretty much forgets you're there - and you can see how he is in his school classroom. See if he looks happy and comfortable or afraid.
Did he speak to the speech therapist? If he consistently speaks when he's comfortable then the question would be how to help him be comfortable at school.

0
0