Brittwis asks:

I have a 3 yr old with speech delay, are there any programs that the school district pays for?  He needs to be in a school type setting.

My 3 yr old son is speech delayed.  Is there a program within the Kissimmee School system that he can be enrolled in?  He needs to be in a school setting and as a single Mom, I cannot pay for child care for him.  I am originally from New York State and know that if a child has a disability, such as speech delay, there are school programs that the school district provides???  Any information would be appreciated.
In Topics: Cognitive development, Special needs, Speech or language impairment
> 60 days ago



Dec 9, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Each state has a process to which they can evaluate a child for consideration for special services. Simply put in writing your concerns about your child and send or deliver it to your local school or school board office. Within a short time you should be contacted and a meeting should take place. Please make sure to make all of your requests in writing and KEEP a copy for your records.

If the school team (which includes your input) decides that your child qualifies for any services then Federal special education laws will apply (such as you heard about in New York).

Here are a few websites to help you:

Good luck-

Louise Sattler
Owner of Signing Families

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (5)

Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely